Summer Abroad Awards
The Summer Abroad Office offers a number of merit and/or need-based awards to current U of T students to cover some of the travel cost.
Should you be selected for an award, the amount will be applied towards the cost of your program.
If you have any questions about the Summer Abroad awards, please contact the Summer Abroad Office at email@example.com
- Must be a current undergraduate U of T student
- Must have completed at least 4.0 U of T undergraduate credits by December 31, 2022
- Must have a CGPA of at least 2.25. Some awards require a higher academic average.
- For financial needs-based awards, you must have documented financial need (i.e. receiving government assistance or able to provide other evidence of need)
- Preference is given to students currently receiving OSAP or other Canadian government financial assistance.
- You must submit a copy of your OSAP funding assessment with your Summer Abroad Award application. You can access your OSAP assessment from the OSAP website (you will need to log in to your account).
- If you are not receiving OSAP then you will need to submit a copy of your home province’s loan assessment or other financial documents that demonstrate financial need (such as a copy of your parents’ 2021 Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency). A detailed explanation of your financial circumstances can be outlined in the “additional information” section of the application
- Most awards require the applicant to be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (convention refugee).
- Please refer to the list below for awards that are open to international students as well.
- Priority is given to students first time participants in the Summer Abroad program.
- Students in their final year of undergraduate studies may apply for awards. However, preference will be given to students who will be returning to their studies at U of T following their participation in the Summer Abroad program
With the exception of the Anne Lawrence Scholarship and the Marjorie E. Simonds Award, award decisions are made on the basis of both academic merit AND demonstrated financial need.
If you are an international student, the following awards are open to both domestic and international students. Please refer to the Cost section under each program for additional award criteria:
- Anne Lawrence Memorial Scholarship for Summer Study in France (France)
- Hans Karl Lüecke Bursary (Italy)
- Ingrid King-Hanna Award (All destinations)
- Maria & Giuseppe Settino Award (Italy)
- Marjorie E Simonds Travel Award (All destinations)
- Ruth Kirkland Summer Abroad Scholarship (All destinations)
- Woodsworth College Alumni Association Summer Abroad Award (All destinations)
Application Process & Deadline
Interested students must first submit an online application for a Summer Abroad program and complete and submit the award application by February 1, 2023.
Refund Policy for students with an award application
- If your award application is unsuccessful and you wish to withdraw your program application, you will receive a full refund of the $200 application fee. Please note this refund policy only applies for financial needs-based awards.
- If you are offered an award and you choose to withdraw your program application, you will not be refunded any portion of the $200 application fee.