Saturday, May 25 to Saturday, June 22, 2024 (4 weeks)
This will be the third year that the University of Toronto will offer a summer course in Puerto Rico. Students will earn a full year credit in four weeks while living and learning in Puerto Rico, the “la isla del encanto,” or “the island of enchantment” in the northeastern Caribbean Sea. This course will benefit students interested in immersing themselves in Caribbean environment, history and culture.
The program will be hosted by Universidad del Sagrado Corazón, the oldest university in Puerto Rico, founded in 1880. Students will be housed close to the campus with easy access to the classroom and will have access to many of the stunning Sagrado’s facilities and services.
Discover Puerto Rico!
- Puerto Rico, officially known as the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico), is an unincorporated territory of the United States, located in the northeastern Caribbean, east of the Dominican Republic and west of both the U.S. Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.
- Puerto Rico is only 100 miles long by 35 miles wide, making it the smallest island of the Greater Antilles. Puerto Rico (Spanish for "rich port") consists of an archipelago that includes the main island of Puerto Rico and several islands: Vieques, Culebra, Mona and numerous islets.
- San Juan is the capital city and most-populous municipality in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and unincorporated territory of the United States. The city is the third oldest European-established capital city in the Americas.
- El Yunque, is one of the highest peaks in the Sierra de Luquillo at the El Yunque National Forest, with an elevation of 3,494 ft (1,065 m).
Planned program activities include:
- Welcome dinner
- Catered Cultural Exchange Dinner
- Old San Juan tour
- Visit Museum of Art of Puerto Rico
- Visit to El Yunque Rainforest
- Visits to Casa Pueblo and La Olimpia Forest School to learn about their award-winning renewable energy and conservation initiatives