Summer Abroad Awards
The Summer Abroad Office offers a limited number of needs-based funding to current U of T domestic students to cover some of the travel cost. If you are approved for a grant, the amount will be applied towards the cost of your program.
If you have any questions about the Summer Abroad awards, please contact the Summer Abroad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Summer Abroad Awards are not offered to students applying to virtual courses.
- Must be a current undergraduate U of T student
- Must be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (convention refugee)
- Must have completed at least 4.0 UofT undergraduate credits by December 31, 2021
- Must have a CGPA of at least 2.25. Some awards require a higher academic average.
- Must have documented financial need (i.e. receiving government assistance or able to provide other evidence of need)
- Priority is given to students first time participants in the Summer Abroad program.
- Preference is given to students currently receiving OSAP or other Canadian government financial assistance.
- You must submit a copy of your OSAP funding assessment with your Summer Abroad Award application. You can access your OSAP assessment from the OSAP website (you will need to log in to your account).
- If you are not receiving OSAP then you will need to submit a copy of your home province’s loan assessment or other financial documents that demonstrate financial need (such as a copy of your parents’ 2019 Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency). A detailed explanation of your financial circumstances can be outlined in the “additional information” section of the application
- Students in their final year of undergraduate studies may apply for awards. However, preference will be given to students who will be returning to their studies at U of T following their participation in the Summer Abroad program
With the exception of the Anne Lawrence Scholarship and Marjorie E. Simonds Award, award decisions are made on the basis of both academic merit AND demonstrated financial need.
Application Process & Deadline
Interested students must first submit an online application for a Summer Abroad program and complete and submit the award application by March 1, 2022.
Refund Policy for students with an award application
- If your award application is unsuccessful and you wish to withdraw your program application, you will receive a full refund of the $200 application fee.
- If you are offered an award and you choose to withdraw your program application, you will not be refunded any portion of the $200 application fee.