Saturday, June 24 to Saturday, July 22, 2023 (4 weeks)
This will be the ninth year that the University of Toronto has offered summer courses with a focus on Spain. This program offers courses designed to introduce students to Hispanic art and culture.
The program will be organized and taught by Connecting Worlds Abroad (COWA). COWA’s (Connecting Worlds Abroad) new headquarters are located at Avenida de la Borbolla, 41, 41013, Seville. This is an ideal location for students as it is right in front of the emblematic Maria Luisa Park, only minutes away from the city center on foot, in walking distance to the University of Seville main campus and it is very well connected with public transportation. COWA’s headquarters include 4 fully equipped intelligent classrooms. The space also includes a 1000-square-foot indoor study area/auditorium to host activities for students such as live music, dance workshops, language exchanges, or simply hanging out.
Live in Seville
Live in Seville – one of the most visited, colourful and historically significant regions of Spain! Many of the typically “Spanish” cultural phenomena that attract tourists (flamenco, bullfighting, tapas and olive orchards) are identified with this southern city.
The summer weather is hot and humid, but nighttime temperatures are perfect for being outside, where one of the most deeply-rooted of all Seville’s traditions is carried out: the “tapeo.” During the summer months people spend the evening frequenting the many restaurant and bar terraces set up along the banks of the Guadalquivir river.
Seville is only 2.5 hours away from Madrid by high-speed train, and some of the most popular coastal regions in Spain, Huelva and Cadiz, are less than two hours away by bus. Seville is well-connected to other European cities by air.
Program Activities (Tentative)
The program will begin with a welcome dinner for all participants and a session orientating them to Seville. The following field trips were arranged for all participants in the program:
- Flamenco Show
- Guided site visit to Seville´s Metropol/Parasol panoramic terrace, Antiquarium, and local market.
- Olive oil factory
- Two-day Trip to Cordoba and Granada
- Visit the Royal Palace of Seville
- Visit the Cathedral of Seville
Optional program activities will be offered by COWA with an additional fee paid directly to COWA on-site. Activities details will be provided by COWA when students are in Spain.
- City tour in a horse-drawn carriage
- Day trip to Italica´s Roman Ruins and the local beach of Matalascañas (Huelva)
- Day trip to Jerez´s world-famous Sherry Winery of “Osborne” (Cádiz)
- Day trip to world famous dry-cured “Black Iberian Ham” factory in Jabugo (Huelva), includes dry-cured “jamón serrano” tasting
- Madrid Trip: 3 day / 2 night trip to Spain´s capital: Stay in a 4* Hotel with half board (breakfast and dinner); Visit Madrid´s world-renowned Prado and Reina Sofía museums and enjoy a beautiful night-walking tour through the historic city center, known as the Madrid of the “Hapsburg dynasty”.
- Salamanca Trip: 3 day / 2 night trip to what is considered to be the birthplace of Spanish language: Stay in a 4* Hotel with half board (breakfast and dinner); Stroll through Salamanca´s Prado and Reina Sofía museums and enjoy a beautiful night-walking tour through the historic city center, known as the Madrid of the “Hapsburg dynasty”
Spain Summer Abroad: News and Highlights
Learn more about the Spain Summer Abroad Program through videos, past events, and articles.